Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Chickens Missing

Over the past week, I have had 2 hens turn up missing. I did find some feathers from the first, and then this afternoon, I heard a gunshot from next door. My neighbor spotted a neighborhood dog (not one that really lives at any one house) with one my chickens in its mouth running off.

He went in and got his shotgun...not to shoot the dog, just to try to scare it off. Afterward, I talked to him and he said that he had previously called the animal control folks for the county about the dog. I placed a call to them too afterward, but the officer only works days. So I left my cell number with them. I know that all animals need to eat to survive, but maybe this dog can eat at the pound till someone adopts him.

Hopefully, he will be able to catch it and solve the problem. If not, I may need to take more drastic actions....something that I would not rather be involved in.

So I am down one Plymouth Rock and one Jersery Giant hen. Bummer.

No comments: