Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Family Outing for the Raccoons


This morning, I took a hike on the Opelofa Trail and River Trail at the Ocmulgee National Monument, a few miles from my house. The morning air was fairly comfortable, so other than a few annoying deer flies, the walk was nice. I spotted lots of birds, one deer, several monarch and red admiral butterflies, and this family of raccoons that were coming across the swamp. The mother and three youngsters were a bit muddy, but still fun to watch as they scampered about. Finally, she heard my camera as it snapped the photos and took off through the brush.

Canon EOS 30D, Canon EF-S 55-250mm1:4-5.6 IS lens, 200 ISO f5.6 at 1/500

2 comments:

Mary said...

Those are really cute! My son says we had 5 on the deck last night...will have to stay up late and check this out :-) Your photo of them is really great. Mine only come around at night and are hard to photograph.

Felicia said...

Ok, this is pretty funny because I was a day behind you on the same trail :)

Groovy picture! Can't believe you got it. I so wanted to get a shot of the beavers in their den a few months ago when there was actual water in the swamp :) But I could never get a decent shot!