Thursday, April 02, 2009

Flooding Under My House

This morning, I decided to turn on my furnace for a few minutes to knock off the chill of the morning in the house. When I did, nothing happened. I went over to the floor furnace and found that the pilot light was out. I checked my water heater and the gas was on without problem there; so I pulled up the floor grating to find that the metal pit that the floor furnace sits in had about 6 inches of water in it. As you can see, Callie the Cat was not impressed by the situation either.

Apparently, the half foot of rain that has fallen in the last week has so saturated the soil, that today's rainfall caused the flooding under my house.

Hopefully, when things dry out in a day or two, the furnace will re-light without problems. I am not realistically expecting that to happen; but it would be nice. And the rain is still falling. They say it is supposed to stop sometime early tomorrow morning. Fingers are crossed.


Hmmm, what is this that I see in the crystal ball? Ah yes, a very expensive repair bill, or maybe an even more expensive different type of heating system.

2 comments:

June said...

Always something! It's always amazing to me how something can be working fine one minute and be broken the next without any signs beforehand. Good luck!

Laurie said...

That is not good about your furnace issue. I hope you get dried out soon.

I wanted to let you know I had a very difficult time reading most of your post with that color font on the bright blue. I did manage to read it with some difficulty. You may want to reconsider that color font.