Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Like a Moth to a Flame


There is something magical about the "HOT NOW" sign at the Krispy Kreme store. I can be totally full, after a huge meal; and yet when I see that sign, I am drawn to it as if I had not eaten in a week.

The smell of the yeasty bread, the sickly sweet sugar glaze, and the warmth of the newly made doughnut is what got me through many-a-long night. The doughnuts literally melt in your mouth when they are freshly fried. The store conveniently lights up the neon "HOT NOW" sign when they are cooking the doughnuts, so you can grab one, or two....ok, I admit it, a dozen!

They do have a sign in the store that proudly says that they are Trans Fat Free. Who cares, when they taste so good? I'd eat them if they were fried in pure lard....which they probably were at one point or the other.

They are 200 of the best calories that you will ever eat! There was once speculation that the zero-carb diet sensation would kill off the home of "America's Favorite Doughnut", but I just don't buy into it. I think that they are here to stay!

My mouth is watering as I type this!

2 comments:

Rurality said...

Krispy Kremes always remind me of my father - when I was a kid, we used to stop at the store in Birmingham on the way home from Alabama football games!

John Roberts said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog.

I agree - who cares about the health aspects? We don't eat Krispy Kremes because they're healthy, we eat them because they taste soooo good! A still-warm Krispy Kreme and a cup of coffee - it doesn't get much better than that!