Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lubbers are Everywhere


For the past two or three years, I have noticed a steady increase in the number of Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers, Romalea microptera, in my yard. It started with one or two, then a dozen, and now there are scores of them. Their shiny black bodies are lined with bold yellow or red stripes. Although they are very colorful, they are also doing a number on some of my plants. They particularly seem to enjoy my tomatoes and onions.

The females seem to be larger with more yellow on them. The males are a little smaller and have more red on them. According to a webpage that I found, they are not good tasting to predators and the bright colors are a warning.


Here is how they are classified...for those who enjoy biology and such:

3 comments:

Pee Wee said...

Whoa.

Dang good pic!

The Riverbum said...

Thanks! I was down on my hands and knees trying to get the shot, all the while, I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I am not sure where they all came from, but they were intense for a few minutes!

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! This is an AWESOME shot!